Thursday, January 17, 2013

currently...

I'm jotting down Petra's birth story in bits and pieces as I make rest -> nursing the baby -> spending time with Declan (in that order) a priority right now. So just a quick note on what's going on right now:

- Afterbirth pains are no joke. I'm so glad I didn't have to experience it as a first-time mom because I had such bad tears after Declan's birth that it was an already traumatic enough recovery. Today is the second day after labor, and my midwife says afterpains usually lasts 2-3 days. I'm looking forward to them going away for good.

- My body feels like such a wasteland right now. It's really hard to imagine ever being able to be an athlete again. Or even just playing with my son while keeping the house in order while taking care of a baby by myself. It all seems in my mind right now like climbing Mt. Everest.

- For some reason, I feel so much more different about having a new baby this time than when Declan was born. I think I was more...petrified the last time around. I remember being driven home two days after his birth and feeling so surreal that the world has not come to an end or changed drastically in other people's perspectives. Now, as I lay in bed and occasionally side nurse (! -- something I didn't know one could do with a newborn) a mostly dozing Petra, I'm really enjoying the peace and wishing that I wasn't so restless during Declan's newborn days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...