Friday, February 15, 2013

this lenten season

The pastor of my local church in Pittsburgh posted this on Facebook yesterday: "A 'positive added spin' on lent? Many Christians practice lent (started yesterday) as a way to identify with and focus on the suffering of Jesus for us. Many of us decide to give up something for lent. This is good but perhaps we can take a page from the reason why Christian fast and apply it here? We don't fast for the sake of fasting, and we don't fast to show how devoted we are to God. We fast so we can use that time to focus on God and drawing close to Him. In fasting, there is giving up of something (eating), and also taking up of something (seeking God). For lent this year, maybe we can give up something, but also take up something like spending more time with God weekly, or showing concrete actions of love to someone once a day..."

It really got me thinking. I've never really done the resolution-y giving up something for the Lenten season in the past before. Some of the things people give up just sound like self-help opportunities, and the whole culture of it can get pretty ridiculous. So I'd reactionarily abstained from participating. 


But perhaps there is something to be said about marking a season, observing a period of time, preparing my own heart for the advent of Easter, to fully appreciate what that means. Historically, giving up something for Lent is for the sake of anticipating fulfillment with the Resurrection of the Messiah. Physically, that's not fully possible if one has not acutely felt deprivation in some way.


Given my former pastor's insight on the matter, I think I will give up something and take up something else this Lenten season. I will (attempt to) give up my attitude of/tendency towards entitlement. Towards complaining and focusing on what's lacking in my life, towards feeling wronged when I have to work a little harder than what I perceive my husband's doing, towards feeling jealous and discontented when I see other friends thriving in their PhD programs/careers or other moms getting a break by having family help or traveling home. I will take up praying more in trusting God that He will provide, in picking up and reading the Bible on a more frequent basis. This, all, in preparation for more fully appreciating Easter, on that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...