Sunday, February 10, 2013

jumbled thoughts

My cousin May took her two young children back to Taiwan for Chinese new year celebrations this year. Looking at her pictures of the Taiwanese background made me miss home so much. Even more than Thanksgiving in the US...that's saying something. I guess, in the end, for all the uncomfortable awkwardness of my more Anglo-inclinations, Taiwan is still the closest thing to my idea of home. Having married an American whose job prospects seem to enjoy the best options in the US, I'm not sure if I'll be able to return. Our children are being raised to speak mostly English right now, and some smattering of Hebrew at the parks. (Declan, of his own volition, said, "Toda" to another boy who returned his toy dump truck at the park this morning.) The desire for my children, if I ever have any, speaking Chinese fluently, had been a main reason why for the longest time I wouldn't date anyone whose mother tongue isn't Chinese. I guess life always turns out completely differently from one's plans.

I'm a bit torn right now about whether Declan should go to gan or not. On one hand, it'd allow me to focus fully on Petra during the day so that she could enjoy some semblance of Declan's babyhood. Not to mention sanity, perhaps, for me in not dealing with two young children at once. On the other hand, am I really ready for us to be apart for that much time during the week? I took Declan and Petra to the park across the street from our apartment this morning. It was around 9am when we got there, and I had a chance to mingle with the few moms that were already there. They were super friendly and Declan played quite nicely with their boys (around the same age as him). I would miss this if he's not around; just as I'm starting to build a rapport with the moms at Hila's as well.

Well, maybe gan won't even be an option, and then that's not an issue I even need to dwell on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...