Last night, seven Technion postdoctoral students stopped by around seven to eat dinner at our place. I put on an old Disney movie via Youtube to distract Declan while I prepped dinner, starting at 3:30/4pm. It is so strange how I never noticed how racist/classist old Disney movies are when I used to watch the few I did as a child. Check out Lady and the Tramp and the first 10 minutes of 101 Dalmatians to see what I mean. The menu ended up being:
Butternut squash and apple soup
Spinach risotto
Sweet potato puree with nut crust
Roasted root vegetables (anise, jerusalem root, beets, with cilantro garnish)
Roasted stuffed green pepper halves (filling: mushroom, cheese, onion, breadcrumb, egg, with soy sauce and black pepper to taste)
Shaksouka - brought over by one of the postdocs' boyfriend, who is currently working in a northern kibbutz and travels south to see her on weekends
Tapioca pudding - brought over by one of the postdocs, whose almost-eight-months-old baby was having a fever last night and therefore was a bit out of it
I got to know some of the postdocs a little more... It amuses me how far-flung from around the world we are. Well, actually not really. There's still a bit of cultural homogenization despite the different countries: Former Soviet Union (now Ukraine), Germany, France, Switzerland/Indonesia, USA (Texas, New York, Minnesota, Illinois/Oregon/Pennsylvania). It seemed like everyone had a good time, and that lightened my mood a bit. Daniel washing most of the dishes afterwards so that I didn't have to face a dirty and crowded kitchen sink and countertop this morning was also *super* nice.
I wonder how much things will change once our daughter arrives. I wonder if I would still be able to make dinner for people to come over and eat/hang out together. Perhaps I will just be absolutely overjoyed to have enough shut-eye time. Yes, a bit apprehensive.
No comments:
Post a Comment