Today is dealing-with-paperwork day. We returned to Seattle from Illinois on Tuesday, and now it's Friday. Wow, time flies when you're mostly doubled-over with morning sickness all day long and you're just rationing out your energy throughout the day to keep up with a toddler. Then you wonder how you're going to manage it when your husband is soon to go out of town--the husband who's been picking up most of the slack and dealing with the toddler's poopy cloth diaper because you suddenly have the scent power of a reliable bloodhound so diaper-changing makes you dry heave some more.
But I digress. We need to visit the Taipei economic and cultural office downtown in the afternoon. Before then, in the morning, we plan to visit a free clinic for Declan's first well-visit since he's eight month old and get him vaccinated for international travel identification. I hope the international vaccine booklet may be a legitimate substitute for the Taiwan booklet that I just don't have time to translate and submit before Daniel goes to Utah. And, once again, my leeriness of vaccines and their side effects is also making me worry about how Declan might react for the rest of the day.
Well, 10 days until this period of drift and no-man's-land feel ends. That's better than 14 days. I'm looking forward especially to having access to Taiwanese food again. Last night, I dreamt I was making huge vats of marinated minced pork for a specific Taiwanese dish. There's nothing much I can eat right now without my stomach turning, and the only thing I really want to eat are things from my childhood.
it sucks to be hungry and not be able to eat on top of everything else. But the countdown has started! Hopefully the last ten days aren't too crazy. crossing my fingers for you.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I appreciate your encouragement a great deal...and one day left!
DeleteWe've been painting our (rental) for five days straight. I don't meditate and I'm the opposite of zen, but when I have a never ending mess in front of me, all I can do is put one foot in front of the other and just focus on the door in front of me and try to enjoy the fact that I'm doing something mind-numbing boring but at least I'm doing it somewhere interesting.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sick of being in limbo! So I understand (a tiny bit) about being stuck in boring paperwork land.
I'm excited about what lies ahead for you. The pictures and food will be amazing.
also, you aren't the only person who misses comfort food. France is supposed to be the land of amazing food, but for me, and lots of people, it leaves a lot to be desired.
ReplyDeletehttp://expatedna.com/2012/06/24/wearing-pajamas-in-public-and-other-things-i-miss-about-asia/
Interesting. :) I suppose comfort food is only possible from the place we grew up in, and it's less about the actual flavor than about the safe and comfortable memories they provoke. Thanks for something fun to read.
Delete