Thursday, August 6, 2015

the current trend in running

Since our visit to Ann Arbor about two weeks ago, I've started running again consistently with a rest day here and there. When I don't feel like running in the first moments that I wake up, I remind myself how edgy and restless I feel (even more than usual) for the rest of the day. And the suggestion that I'll just run later in the day or at night rarely comes to pass, so the first thing in the morning it is.

Sometimes when I really don't feel up for it, I convince myself to just run for 20 minutes. Twenty minutes is nothing. If I had rolled over in bed or just went about the rest of my morning routine, 20 minutes usually dwindle invisibly in brief email or news checking. So far, every time I convince myself to just run for 20 minutes, I would reach the mark and want to keep going since it's only been 20 minutes and I'm already out the door and now sweaty anyways. Usually around the 20 minute mark, I'm closing in on two miles or more, in which case, why not aim for a 5K? It's just about one mile more, so I keep going on. Then when I hit 5K, sometimes I think why not go for 5 miles? It's just a little less than two miles more. Then when I hit 5 miles, sometimes I still feel pretty okay, so I think why not go 1.2 miles more and make that a 10K? Once, I ended up running three more miles after the 10K, and started thinking I might as well go four more miles and finish with a half-marathon. But then I remembered how I've always gotten feverish for a week after the half-marathon events I've done, and my past experiences told me not to push it for now. Maybe one day when I consistently reach the 10 mile mark on my daily runs, I'll change my attitude towards the half. If I can consistently run 10 miles every day, chances are doing another 3.1 miles isn't going to do me in anymore.

So now a routine, a habit, is being set: at least 20 minutes -> 5K (3.1mi) -> 5 miles -> 10K (6.2mi) -> 9-10 miles... are my various daily run lengths, depending on how I feel that day, how late I went to bed last night, etc. I'm not sure why, but running regularly really makes me feel more sane. I hope I can keep this going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...