Tuesday, December 11, 2012

the third (?) day of hanukkah

All I had for dinner tonight were donuts (aka sufganiyot) and latkes. I think I'm done celebrating Hanukkah.

In the end, I'm glad I volunteered to make latkes at the Haifa English Speakers Hanukkah party. If I hadn't, I would have opted to stay home on account of my sore back and foul mood. Instead, I fried up some genuine latkes for the first time ever after reading 10+ cooking blog entries about "secrets" to great latkes. Was amazed by actual existence of potato starch, which I was skeptical would actually condense/appear from the potato water I squeezed out of the grated potatoes. And several people were nice enough to come chat with me as I fried up latkes in Gael's apartment's kitchen. The best time I had at the party was actually during the breaks in my frying duty, as the few people who drifted into the kitchen stayed to chat. I got to meet finally and talk with Natalie, the English Speakers organizer, who is sadly leaving Israel soon. I would have loved to become friends with her. She's completing a PhD in children's literature and psychological development and has the most deadpan dry British humor. And was very kind and encouraging about my career hopes as well as (even though she admits to not wanting/liking kids herself) the importance and value of raising children.

She's just really, really cool. I wish I'm cool like her.

It was fun getting to know a few more new people as well, like Ronan the Technion masters student who loves his study in mechanical engineering ("It's like getting to play every day!" -- how cool to see someone loving what they do). Gael, who I had met once during the game night I hosted, was extremely motherly and insistent that I sit to rest and drink to stay hydrated during the moments I wait for the latkes to turn golden. (I think she's mildly afraid I might go into labor at her place.) And getting a ride home up the steep hills of Haifa from Andy and Shadi was so, so appreciated. (Super windy today, with sporadic showers.)

So I'm glad I didn't stay home to feed my unexplainable down-ness. And that I've quite gotten my fill of donuts for a long, long while. Daniel and Declan had a good time too, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...