Tuesday, November 28, 2017

snapshots of daily life

At P's dance class tonight, I puzzled over the music that blared in the background to one of the dance sequences... before I identified it as Britney Spears' "Gimme More". Techno-ed up with some house dance genre twists to be sure, but these are kindergarten-age girls. Not sure how to feel about that. Must confess I personally find some of Britney's music videos surprisingly hypnotic and hard to disengage from, but not necessarily because of admiration or beautiful musicality. I guess that's what they call star quality?

D came home with a new notebook he was doodling on; he said one of his classmates traded that for part of his lunch. Apparently there was a bid between several contenders. Flattered (since I make his lunches), I asked which item they were fighting over. "The cheerios, Mom." Yes, I did include some cheerios that I can't find anywhere here and brought back from the US. They're fortified with calcium and B12 which I worry D doesn't get enough of. So much for my culinary prowess.

This past Sunday, it occurred to me at various times at church service that so-and-so is probably the kind of person one of my ex-boyfriend will eventually become. Both of them could be considered the best products of the Taiwanese education system: Upstanding professionals in leadership positions. A bit blind to social injustices and the plight of the poor. A bit lacking in creativity and imagination but makes up for it with strong work ethics. Another so-and-so reminded me of my high school nemesis/frenemy: Very talented and knows it too. Wants to be highly regarded by others and feel slighted if others don't obviously do so. A bit of a prima donna but old enough now to temper it with some humor and allowances for other people's strengths.

Both people are of the age range my ex-bf, hs frenemy, and I will land in the next 20 years. That made me wonder who I would remind myself of as an outside observer. On the ride home, it crossed my mind that I hope I would become like Jennifer, the pastor's wife. But then, another thought crossed my mind: But she has become the way she is (patient, kind, wise, strong in so many ways) because she endured and overcame a lot of shit.

Oh man. Would it be possible for me to become like her without needing to go through that process? Something tells me I won't like the honest answer, and the question is really: am I willing?




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...