I am tres belle.
It has literally halved my commute time from forty minutes of sweaty stroller pushing to less than twenty minutes of power assisted pedaling. Declan is also much taken with it. Petra refused to get out of the child seat I'd installed on the back.
My initial plan had been to get a moped, like the Vespa I bought with my first (and some of my second) paycheck of my first post-college job. That companion now belongs to my aunt since seven years ago. But then I heard a sermon in which the speaker said that the world's top spending goes to (1) weapons, (2) drugs, and (3) petroleum. For some reason, that made me want to avoid petrol consumption as much as possible, so an electric moped became of interest. Besides, the electric route would mean I don't need to update my license and I get NT$3,000 subsidy from the Taiwan EPA.
Alas, I then found out that the electric moped I had my eyes on does not have a detachable battery. Or rather it does, but the battery is incredibly heavy to remove for charging portably. "Much too heavy, especially for a girl." The salesperson said. That got me rolling my eyes and saying offhandedly that I can handle it. Unfortunately, an attempt to pick it up indicated he's correct--but still not because I happen to be a girl. I wouldn't want to subject Daniel to being that battery carrier either.
Then, right as I was resigning myself to an uglier e-moped with a much lighter detachable battery, the salesperson reminded me that mopeds are prohibited within college campuses. Which just won't do since I live on campus.
So that is how I ended up with an electric bicycle. And all the benefits I'd already mentioned.
I'm going to call it Liel.

No comments:
Post a Comment