Is it more important to be as highly "qualified" as one could be in order to have the option of accessing as many venues as possible?
Or is it more important to be "on the ground" and gauge the pulse of society and culture in that way?
The first option would mean more time in exile, so to speak. But perhaps with a greater impact later. The "perhaps" is a big concern, because I've seen, time and time again, how friends who went into law or medicine with an intent to advocate for the disenfranchised later turn into corporate representatives and reach for the medical system's acclaims instead. I used to be a lot more judgmental of their evolution, but I see now how easily one's M.O. can change with time, family persuasions, financial concerns, and priorities regarding the future. And who's to say they are not still biding their time until they do what they originally planned to do?
Still, I don't want to end up dying at, say, age 40 and realize that I should have gotten started on my heart's desires a lot sooner.
On the other hand, maybe there are merits to the second option that I am overlooking which would tip the scale irrevocably in its favor.
I feel ambivalent about the choices facing me. It reminds me of when I would patrol the night markets in Taiwan and be so overwhelmed with the possibilities that I end up going home, empty-bellied.
Father God, please give me and my family clarity, wisdom, insight, and guidance.
No comments:
Post a Comment